Posted on behalf of Sam Vaughan, Medical Education Manager
Dear Doctors in Training
You may be aware through your Deanery Bulletins which is sent directly to trainees (see attached) that Health Education England are changing the way that trainees apply for study leave. This change comes into effect from 1st April 2018. I have bullet pointed below the main changes.
See PDF for full details: Guide for Trainees Accessing centralised study budgets_Version1.0_FINAL
- Study leave budgets for trainees will be “centralised” from 1st April 2018
- Study leave funding will be approved at “local trust level” as it is now, providing the courses are on an approved Mandatory or recommended lists of training for both your year of training and curriculum requirements
- Trainees will be able to log onto synapse for a full list of
- Mandatory courses (approved at trust level)
- Recommended courses (approved at trust level)
- Discretionary courses – these will need to be approved by the specialty training programme directors/Heads of School – not at trust level and will take additional time for approval
- There will be no overall study leave budget set
- The amount of study leave days remains the same
- Trainees will continue to seek reimbursement at trust level after each course in the same way. The trust will submit monthly claims to HEKSS for reimbursement.
It is very important that you:
- Do not book or pay for courses which have not received approval locally or by the TPS/HoS.
- We will not be able to retrospectively approve courses that have not been applied and approved. Minimum of 6 weeks’ notice
- Will not reimburse or approve study leave if you have not sought approval prior to your study leave.
Other points to note:
- This new process does apply to GP trainees in Hospital posts (GPST1 & 2)
- Does NOT apply to GPST3’s the previous process of application and reimbursement still applies
Dental Core Trainees (DCTs)
TBC as we are waiting for a response as to whether the process will change for you. I will write out separately to you once we have had confirmation from HEKSS
Previously approved Study leave prior to 1st April 2018
- All study leave/courses which have previously been approved prior to the 1st April will be honoured even though some may not form part of the new mandatory or recommended course list.
- Any requests which are made prior to this date, but take place after 1st April will be reviewed under the new processes.
- Trainees may find that they have requests declined which do not form part of the mandatory or recommended courses prior to the 1st April if they do not fit the new guidelines.
- We will be changing the training grade study leave forms this week and will email these out to trainees. These will also be updated and available in paper form from our Education centres in WHEC and CMEC as well on the forms page for you to download. Any requests not on the correct form will be rejected and will delay submission and approval.
Trainees need to ensure they check their emails from HEKSS as more information will be updated as part of the trainee bulletin (see HET Update for Trainees – Feb 2018 FINAL) and part of synapse.
This is a complete new process for both trainees and trusts. We ask you to work with us by ensuring you adhere to the new ways of working.
Please do pop in or email me should you have any other queries. We are still awaiting the lists from all Schools with regards to the Mandatory, recommended and desirable courses from HEKSS so please bear with us whilst we work locally to implement this new process.