The London and South East Careers Unit are delighted to announce the launch of our new Career Planning module for Foundation Trainee Doctors designed especially for you to help you with the decisions and applications you will be making over the next few months about your future careers.
By following the link – http://www.lpmde.ac.uk/professional-development/careers-unit/doctors/foundation-doctors you will land on a page especially aimed at your stage in career planning. In particular you can access the module which is designed as a series of powerpoint presentations, around the SCAN career planning model and accompanied by a workbook where you can gather together all the information you will need to make successful applications.
In order to get the most from the module we advise that you undertake the programme in the following order:
- Introduction to Career Planning for Foundation Trainee Doctors – this will introduce you to the module structure explaining how to use it for the greatest benefit
- Stage 1: Self -awareness – guides you through a series of exercises for your to consider your values, job preferences, skills, interests etc which are reproduced in the workbook for you to do
- Stage 2: Career exploration – explores the steps you should go through to help you gain a thorough understanding of the options available – which are again complemented by exercises for you to do in the workbook
- Stage 3: Arriving at your decision – invites you to think about the way you make decisions and guides you through weighing up your current options using what you have found out in stages 1 and 2
- Stage 4: Next steps – this session will be added shortly and will cover the steps you need to take to make successful applications – such as preparing your portfolio, preparing a CV and preparing for interviews
- All stages are complemented by relevant exercises, website links and information for you to reflect upon which will help you build up a picture of what is important to you at this stage, the options available and what you need to do to be successful.
You will also find on this page a number of other resources to complement the Career Planning module. Please do keep checking in on your webpage as these resources will be added to and updated on a regular basis.
The module is designed as a starting point for you. However if at any time you feel that you would like a confidential discussion with a careers adviser please do get in touch by clicking the ‘1-2-1’ button at the top right hand side of the Foundation doctor’s page or by following the link: http://www.lpmde.ac.uk/professional-development/careers-unit/what-we-do/contact-us
We would welcome feedback from you on how easy and useful you found this resource and will publish an evaluation form on the website shortly. Anyone completing and returning the form to us will be given a certificate of completion for undertaking the module.
Head of Careers
Professional Support Unit
London and South East Professional Development Team