Chichester Medical Education Centre (CMEC) is a purpose built educational facility, finished in 1991, on the Richard’s Hospital campus and part of the Western Sussex Hospitals Trust. It is a registered charity (Registered Charity No. 244559) administered by a board of Trustees and independent from St Richard’s Hospital. CMEC is a non-profit making organisation and any charges made are used to update and maintain the equipment and building.
The ground floor of the Centre provides an excellent range of conference and seminar facilities. There are eight seminar/tutorial rooms of varying sizes, two tiered lecture theatres and a hall capable of seating 250 people. All rooms are well equipped with audio-visual facilities, data projectors and flat screen wall mounted monitors with overhead data projection in the larger lecture theatre and Mickerson Hall.
The foyer provides an attractive setting and is an excellent reception point prior to the start of a meeting and is an ideal place for larger groups to register. It is also ideal for displaying exhibition stands or for refreshment breaks during meetings.
The first floor of CMEC houses the Dunhill Library, Dunhill Medical Museum, Learning and Development administration, Williams Dental Teaching Labs, clinical skills and simulation suites (Simpson Suite and Roger Miles Suite), medical student common room and teaching room, research and development, IT suite and our learning pods.
The Centre has a independent catering facility (Doctors Orders) which is available from breakfast to late afternoon and is able to offer home made food from cakes and pastries, soups, freshly made sandwiches, salads, jacket potatoes, etc. The coffee is great and there is a wide variety of hot and cold drinks. Doctors orders can cater for any function within CMEC with simple sandwiches to three course meals. Please contact them directly to discuss your requirements.
We aim to be as flexible as possible and would welcome the opportunity to arrange for you to view the Centre at your convenience. Please contact Bebba Smithers, Medical Education Manager, to discuss this or any other requirement.
The original building at St Richard’s Hospital was built in 1938-9 by West Sussex County Council. It had 194 beds for elderly and infirm people, but at the beginning of the war in 1939, the Government declared it an Emergency Medical Service General Hospital. By 1940, 10 hutted wards were added, taking the number of beds to 400.
In the post-war period, the Postgraduate Medical Education Centre (CMEC) opened on the hospital site in 1966 and in 1970 new accident and emergency, outpatient, x-ray and maternity departments were opened, and two additional operating theatres added.
Donald Wilson House, the hospital’s neurological rehabilitation unit, opened in 1975 and two years later the hospital added its intensive care unit and coronary care unit.
In 1994, St Richard’s Hospital attained NHS Trust status and became Royal West Sussex NHS Trust. The hospital then expanded quickly, with 1996 a significant year as the hospital unveiled its larger new building, containing wards, physiotherapy and theatres. The Trust was also awarded a Charter Mark for excellence in public service that year, which was an outstanding achievement, while the hospital’s first intrauterine insemination (IUI) triplets were also born.
Since then, the Trust has been proud to receive many awards, such as the UNICEF Global Baby Friendly Award in 1999 and the Top District General Hospital in the Sunday Times Good Hospital Guide in 2000. It has also been named as one of the CHKS Top 40 Hospitals every year since 2001.
In 2004, a successful fundraising appeal raised £1 million for a new MRI scanner and the following year the hospital scanned its 1,000th person using the machine. Also in 2005, the Trust proudly unveiled the Chichester Treatment Centre for short stay surgical procedures.
The maternity unit received praise in 2008, when it was named as one of the best performing in the country. In the same year, the hospital opened a dedicated children’s area in A&E and received an excellent rating for environment, food, privacy and dignity from the National Patient Safety Agency. The Bariatric Service for obese patients also celebrated winning a NHS South East Coast Best of Health award in the category of ‘dignity in care’.
2008 also saw Donald Wilson House replaced with a modern, environmentally-friendly building and construction get under way on the new Cancer Day Unit, known as the Fernhurst Centre. This new building was made possible thanks to a successful fundraising campaign which raised more than £3.5 million.
In October 2008, the Trust began plans for its merger with Worthing and Southlands Hospitals NHS Trust. The merger took place on 1 April 2009 and the three hospitals – St Richard’s, Worthing and Southlands, in Shoreham-by-Sea, joined together to become Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Trust.